1992 Stereotactic Exhibit -
Horsley-Clarke Stereotactic Device|
Lender: The Brain Research Institute
The Horsley-Clarke Stereotactic Device was first reported in Brain (31:45-124, 1908) in an article entitled "The Structure and functions of the Cerebellum Examined by a New Method".
The unit displayed was the second Horsley-Clarke Stereotactic Instrument, constructed for Dr. Ernest Sachs in 1908 in London. He subsequently presented it to Horace W. Magoun, PhD.
Bust of Sir Victor Horsley|
Donor: Emil Seletz, MD
Dr. Seletz is an accomplished artist and has sculpted many of the leaders of neurology and neurosurgery.
|No picture available||
Atlases and Volumes of Historical Interest:|
Lender: Robert Levy, MD, PhD
Spiegel, EA and Wycis HT: The First International Symposium on Stereoencephalotomy: Stereotactic Surgery. S. Karger, 1962.
Donor: Sissel Cooper (wife of Dr. Irving Cooper)
Todd, EM: Stereotaxy. Chambers Printing Co., 1972.
Donor: Charles W. Cure, MD
Talairach J et al: Atlas d'Anatomie Stereotaxique. Masson & Cie, 1957.
The Andy Stereotactic Headframe|
Donor: Orlando Andy, MD
Dr. Andy's first stereotactic frame was constructed in 1955; this version of the frame was built in Texas by Hastings in 1957. It was primarily used for surgery on patients with epilepsy, pain, and movement disorders.
The Cooper Stereotactic Device
Donor: Mrs. Sissel Cooper
This device was designed by Dr. Irving Cooper to provide stereotactic direction of his cryoprobe in stereotactic thalamotomies in patients with movement disorders.
The Fairman Stereotactic Device|
Donor: Joseph F. Dorsey
Used by Dr. Dorsey for chemical destructive procedures using alcohol. It was designed by David Fairman of Buenos Aires while he was a visiting professor in Virginia. The device was used with electrodes or with Dr. Cooper's chemopallidotomy catheter.
The Rand Stereotactic Device|
Donor: Joseph F. Dorsey
Dr. Rand co-designed three different stereotactic guides. First in 1955, he co-developed the Rand--Wells Pallidotomy guide. This was modified around 1960 as the Rand-Well Stereotactic Hypostectomy Guide. In 1965, the Rand-Urban Guides for thalamotomy and general stereotactic work was developed. The guide exhibited is the first of these designs.
The Tulane Stereotactic Guide
Donor: Robert Heath
Tulane investigators first described a pleasurable response with stimulation of deep brain structures. Since 1952, a number of studies have lead to the common use of deep brain stimulation for chronic pain. This version of their stereotactic frame was built in 1977. It includes x-ray cassettes for positive contrast ventriculography and the equipment used for electrical stimulation studies.
Leksell Stereotactic System
Donor: Electa Instruments, Inc.
While at the service of his mentor, Herbert Olivecrona, Lars Leksell sensed the need to further develop the concepts originally described by Horsley and Clarke in 1908. In 1949, he designed the first instrument to be based on the arc-center principle. The stereotactic system has undergone many refinements over the years; the frame on display was manufactured around 1980.
Spiegel and Wycis described the first instrument for human use in 1947. Their instrument, which was of the translational type, undoubted stimulated Leksell when, in 1949, he designed the first instrument to be based on the arc-center principle. The instrument was a result of the need for x-ray indexing and consisted of an arc which mounted onto a headframe. The design was such that the center of the arc always coincided with the target. The arc swivelled in the arnterior-posterior direction. An electrode carrier, sliding on the arc, could therefore be positioned anywhere around the convexity of the head. By suing electrodes of a length corresponding to the arc radius, Leksell knew that, with the needle fully advanced, he had reached his target.
MacPherson Stereotactic Frame
Donor: Charles A. Fager
The MacPherson System was used primarily for stereotactic thalamotomy in patients with chronic severe pain. Also used for electrode implantation for the treatment of chronic pain accompanying terminal carcinoma, the frame was used for many early studies of thalamic function in the unanesthetized human.
McKinney Pallidotomy Guide
Donor: Codman & Shurtleff
This guide was devised by Dr. McKinney prior to the development of his Stereotactic Frame. It was essentially a cranial tap with a stage area similar to that of a microscope. The benefits were that it was very accurate and easy to adjust. It utilizes a bar guide to position the leucttome to perform a lesion using x-rays for verification of the location.
McKinnery Stereotactic Frame|
Donor: William McKinney
After observing Dr. Cooper perform a stereotactic thalamotomy for Parkinson's disease, Dr. McKinney returned to Fort Worth to begin performing these procedures. With the help of machinists Stanley Nostra and Robert Hastey, the McKinney stereotactic apparatus was built in 1958. Between 1958 and 1972, Dr. McKinney performed 1500 of these procedures using this apparatus and guide shown.
Riechert Stereotactic Frame|
Lender: Leibinger & Fischer
This frame was initially developed by Drs. Traugott Riechert and Fritz Mundinger in 1955. Using precise mathematical manipulation, it has a maximal deviation of the target-needle from the target of +/- 0.5 mm. This instrument utilized an aiming bow that attached to a circular base ring fixed to the patient's head; a phantom was also used to allow for target and approach verification. The early frame was subsequently modified by Mundinger, and is widely used for functional and tumor stereotactic surgery.
Todd-Wells Stereotactic Guide|
Donor: Edwin M. Todd
Dr. Todd and Trent Wells began their collaboration in 1960. Their first stereotactic guide was the same as the top of what is displayed, but attached directly to the operating table with tape and a suction device. The unit displayed was developed in 1965. It was designed to position the anatomical target at its focal point with access along an infinite number of spherical radii. When the anatomical target is oriented with the focal point of the instrument, which in turn is superimposed upon the x-ray convergence site, all systems are in harmony in this type of guide.